KSEBOA - KSEB Officers' Association

Tuesday
Jun 27th
Text size
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home News Power Sector News Power Minister Sees Rs 1.8 Lakh Crore Savings Boost from UDAY

Power Minister Sees Rs 1.8 Lakh Crore Savings Boost from UDAY

PDF
Hits smaller text tool iconmedium text tool iconlarger text tool icon

Piyush GoyalThe government's ambitious Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) will lead to annual savings of Rs 1.8 lakh crore by 2018-19. "It will be savings worth Rs 1.8 lakh crore, which means saving of Rs 1.2 per unit when compared to business as usual. Banks do not have to take any haircut under UDAY," explained Piyush Goyal, Union Minister for Power, Coal and Renewable Energy.

The proposed saving is on account of energy efficiency to be achieved by reduction in interest rate, takeover of discoms debt by states, reduction in aggregate technical and commercial (AT&C) losses by discoms.

"The states will be assisted and hand held to bring down the cost of power by improving their distribution, transmission and sub transmission network, reducing the cost of power through coal rationalization and also bringing down the interest cost substantially," he said.

The banking sector as a whole has significant exposure to the near bankrupt state-run discoms to the tune of Rs 4.3 lakh crore in principle alone and over Rs 5 lakh crore if interest and unpaid dues are counted. These discoms have accumulated losses of about Rs 3.8 lakh crore.

Under UDAY, states can take over 75 per cent debt as on September, 2015 and payback lenders by issuing bonds. This debt takeover will not be added to the fiscal deficit of the states. For the remaining 25 per cent, the State Electricity Boards shall issue bonds.

Goyal assured that the state-run Power Finance Corporation and Rural Electrification Corporation, which have an exposure of around $20 billion to the discoms, will not be forced to buy the bonds to be issued by the respective states under the scheme at 8-8.5 per cent yield.

He also said this was aimed at protecting the balance sheet of PFC, which gets loans at 7.5 to 8 percent. "We will not stress PFC and REC's balance sheets with these bonds which will be priced at 8-8.5 percent. It could only affect their working capital requirement," he said.

Source-Indian Express

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Random Videos

You need Flash player 6+ and JavaScript enabled to view this video.
Title: Power Quiz 2015 Final - Part-1

Latest Comments

Banner

Reference Book

 

Reference Book on Power

Electrical Engineering-- D' 1/4 Size Hard bound-- 1424 Pages-- Just Rs.1000/- only &n...

Visitors Counter

mod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_counter
mod_vvisit_counterToday1482
mod_vvisit_counterYesterday5545
mod_vvisit_counterThis Month133384
mod_vvisit_counterLast Month149108

Online Visitors: 76
IP: 54.92.133.186
,
Time: 07 : 29 : 51