Kite-flying turned tragic for the families of three kids who were electrocuted at Raaviharagopal Nagar in the Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh.
The deceased have been identified as N. Yesu Babu, 11, and N. John Raju, 9, who are brothers and their friend B. Suresh, 12, who was living near Nagilerugattu of Raaviharagopal Nagar. The three children were flying kites on the terrace of their house on Friday. As the kite got stuck between live electric wires passing by their house connecting two 11 KV transformers the boys tried to retrieve it.
Without realising that high voltage current was passing through the wires the children used an iron rod to retrieve the kite. As soon as one of them came in contact with the wires through the iron rod, current passed through all of them and they were killed on the spot, Pamarru SI M. Venkata Narayana said.
Tahsildar A.V.N. Murthy inspected the bodies before they were sent for postmortem. Yesu and John are the sons of N. Venkatesam and Venkateswaramma and Suresh is the son of B. Veeraiaha and Tirupathamma.
The kids are school dropouts and have been staying at home. In a similar incident, an 8-year-old boy named Y. Deepak Raju from the One Town area of Vijayawada was burnt alive when he tried to retrieve a kite that was stuck in live wires. Raju used an aluminum rod unaware of the fact that electricity was passing through the wires.
Source- Deccaan Herald